University Health Service


Note: Yellow fever vaccine is in short supply nationally, however we anticipate having enough vaccine to meet our patients' needs.

Planning to travel abroad? Here's how to get immunizations, prescriptions and advice that are tailored to your destination.


Travel coordinators, we want to work with you to serve your students. See For Travel Coordinators about group clinics and more.

Quick links:

Download Travel Health Form (PDF)

Get Costs for this Clinic (PDF)

Go to Videos of Travel Health Recommendations by Country

Go to Travel Health Education Program

Learn about Zika Precautions

Step 1. Learn Recommendations/Requirements and Prepare

Plan ahead! You'll need to:

  • Learn any visa and U-M program requirements
  • Locate your immunization record
  • Schedule early (6-8 weeks before departure) because:
    • There is considerable demand for appointments, especially before peak travel times (December, before Spring Break, April and May) -- See Step 2 below
    • All immunizations take two weeks to reach optimum effectiveness, and some are given in series

Wondering what UHS nurses might recommend? For general recommendations, you could look up your destination(s) on the Center for Disease Control and Prevention travel website.

Get Costs for this Clinic (PDF)

Go to Videos of Travel Health Recommendations by Country

Step 2. Complete Form and Schedule an Appointment

A. Download, complete and submit our Travel Health Services Form before scheduling your appointment. Plan on submitting the form 6-8 weeks before you travel.   

Download Travel Health Form (PDF)

B. After form submission, you will be contacted by phone or email to schedule. (If you do not hear from a scheduler within 3 business days, call 734-764-8320.) If you need a physical for travel, schedule it separately. Please note that Travel Health Services are scheduled several days per week.

Step 3. Learn How to Stay Safe and Healthy While Traveling

We encourage you to learn about travel health through these two means: 

Go to Travel Health Education Program

Go to Videos of Travel Health Recommendations by Country

Step 4. At Your Visit

Be sure to bring any health forms that you need to have completed. 

If you need prescriptions or other products, allow time to visit the UHS Pharmacy. The Pharmacy sells the following non-prescription travel-related products:

  • Imodium AD ® caplets, generic, for diarrhea
  • Pepto-Bismol ® liquid and tablets, generic, for diarrhea, nausea, heartburn, indigestion, upset stomach
  • Ultrathon ™ insect repellant lotion, contains 34% DEET, repels mosquitos, biting flies, chiggers, fleas, deer and stable flies
  • Permanone ® spray, insect repellant against mosquitoes and ticks, for clotihing and gear
  • Sawyer ® clothing treatment kit, soak to repel and kill mosquitoes, ticks, chiggers, mites
  • Mobasa Defender ™, a personal mosquito net pretreated with repellant
  • Sunscreen - Solbar ® 

Costs for Travel Health Visits:

Fees are charged as follows for ALL patients, including students, so please check with your insurance to determine coverage. Payment is expected at time of service.

  • $45 clinic visit fee
  • Immunizations
  • Medications
  • Any supplies

Get Costs for this Clinic (PDF)

  • For currently enrolled U-M students (Ann Arbor campus): Costs are NOT covered by your health service fee.
  • For patients with U-M BCN/Premier Care/GradCare or U-M BCBS PPO: Your insurance will cover the cost of your clinic visit, however you are responsible for paying the visit copay. 
  • For patients with Medicare (even if you have U-M BCN/Premier Care/GradCare secondary): Insurance will not cover the clinic visit. 
  • For patients with any other insurance, you are responsible for payment.

Is your department paying some or all travel costs? UHS will bill your department, but you are responsible for paying if they do not pay. Bring any documentation with department shortcode for billing. 

For more information, see:

From UHS:

Other local travel health providers:

  • Michigan Medicine Overseas Travel Clinic, 734-647-5899, U-M Hospital, 1500 East Medical Center Dr, Floor 3, Reception D, Ann Arbor, MI 48109
  • Passport Health, 248-851-5633, 2008 Hogback Drive Suite 1, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
  • IHA Midwest Travel Care, 734-995-0308, 4200 Whitehall Dr, Ann Arbor, MI 48105
  • The CVS Minute Clinic (866-389-2727, 209 S. State St, Ann Arbor) and Walgreen's Pharmacy (734-352-3623, 317 S. State St, Ann Arbor) provide some immunizations, however they don't have some such as yellow fever, and they cannot prescribe medications such as anti-malarials. 
  • Washtenaw Public Health Department provides some immunizations that may be useful in travel.