University Health Service

travel health insurance

Traveling abroad? This inexpensive health insurance plan can provide peace of mind.

Quick links:  

On this page:

Important requirement:

Students, faculty and staff from all U-M campuses who travel abroad for University-related purposes must have U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance and register in the U-M Travel Registry. (University-related purposes may include but are not limited to study, research, internships, service, conferences, presentations, teaching, performances or athletic competitions).

U-M contracts with HTH Worldwide, a leader in international travel health insurance, to provide this coverage.

Plan description and benefits:

Three plans are available, and your plan will depend on your affiliation and purpose of travel. For questions about affiliation, you may email Benefits are listed in this section as well as Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation below.

Please choose your affiliation and purpose of travel:

For STUDENTS on Educational Activities (also graduates on U-M-related travel, e.g post-grad fellowships)
  • If you will travel as part of a U-M sponsored group, ask your program administrator if he/she will purchase for you. If so, you do not need to purchase.
  • Cost: $1.10/day plus a $5 administrative fee
  • Plan may be extended to cover leisure activities before and after your University-related trip.
  • Plan may be purchased for spouses / domestic partners and dependents traveling with the covered student.
  • For plan details, see:
For STUDENTS, FACULTY & STAFF on Personal/Leisure Travel

For FACULTY & STAFF on University Business 
(The HTH Business Travel Insurance has been renamed GeoBlue Traveler)

  • Group Access Code: QHE99999UMBT
  • This plan covers for up to 180 days. If you need longer coverage, contact Managed Care/Student Insurance Office.
  • Cost: No cost, but you'll need to register your trip in the U-M Travel Registry.
  • Plan automatically covers you; you do not need to purchase but you should sign-in on the HTH GeoBlue website, accessible through the U-M Travel Registry (step 2 and 3 below).
  • Plan automatically covers:
    • Your spouse / domestic partner and dependents traveling with you
    • Leisure activities prior to and after your University-related trip
  • For plan details, see:

How to purchase / sign-in (for all U-M campuses):

1. Choose your affiliation and purpose of travel, as described above. For questions about affiliation, you may email

2. Register your trip with the U-M Travel Registry

3. This step depends on your affiliation:

For students: Enroll and purchase the insurance via the link to the HTH Worldwide website in your confirmation email and M-Compass Registration Checklist page. Payment is due at time of enrollment.

For faculty and staff:

  • For Personal/Leisure Travel: Enroll and purchase the insurance via the link to the HTH Worldwide website on the last page of the U-M Travel Registry. Payment is due at time of enrollment.
  • For Business Travel: You may register to use GeoBlue Traveler via the link on the final page of the U-M Travel Registry.

Effective dates (for Student and Leisure Plans only):

Coverage will begin on the date requested on the online enrollment form. Coverage is effective 24 hours a day, worldwide, except when in the U.S.

Coverage will end on the earliest of the following dates:

  • Date the participant ceases to meet eligibility requirements
  • End date requested in the online or paper enrollment form
  • First date for which premium and fees have not been paid

How to extend coverage beyond original purchase:

For students: To extend coverage, you must:
1) Update your trip through U-M Travel Registry and
2) Enroll and purchase the insurance via the link to the HTH Worldwide website in your confirmation email and M-Compass Registration Checklist page. Payment is due at time of enrollment.

For faculty and staff: To extend coverage, you must:
1. Update your trip through U-M Travel Registry.
2. Enroll and purchase the insurance via the link to the HTH Worldwide website on the last page. Payment is due at time of enrollment.

Using your benefits:

Download "How to Use Your Benefits"
for Students on Educational Activities (PDF)

Whenever possible, you should contact HTH Worldwide in advance. 

In a non-emergency, HTH Worldwide will assist you in making appointments as long as contact them first, and whenever possible, HTH Worldwide will pay the medical provider directly.

In an emergency, seek appropriate medical care first, then call HTH Worldwide for immediate assistance.

If you require medical evacuation, you must contact HTH Worldwide in advance or your evacuation will not be eligible for reimbursement.

To contact HTH Worldwide, call:

  • Inside the US, call 800-257-4823
  • Outside the US, call +1-610-254-8771 (collect) or 1-888-243-2358

HTH Worldwide maintains a 24/7 call center to assist members with a wide variety of services including:

  • Locating medical care
  • Medical evacuation planning and coordination
  • Medical monitoring and referral
  • Coordination of hospital payment guarantees

When you show your Medical Insurance ID card, doctors and hospitals usually send HTH Worldwide a bill for services that received abroad.

Sometimes a doctor or a health care facility may ask you to pay the bill, or you may need to file a claim for prescription medication. In these cases ask the doctor, hospital or pharmacy for a copy of the bill and a receipt for your payment. You will need these documents to allow HTH Worldwide to reimburse you.

To request reimbursement, you must submit a claim form. Please choose the form that pertains to purpose of your travel.  Instructions are on the back of the form.

Political and Natural Disaster Evacuation Coverage:

Political and natural disaster (P/ND) evacuation assistance is available in many but not all countries for U-M faculty, staff, students and their eligible accompanying dependents. To receive this support travelers must be eligible for the U-M HTH/GeoBlue international health insurance plan, must Register their Travel and meet other special conditions outlined below. This support is not always available for personal/leisure travelers as outlined below.

While this support is provided in most locations throughout the world, it is not available in some locations, and in some others pre-approval from the security firm is required.  See Exception Destinations; the pre-approval process is initiated by Registering Travel at least 3 weeks prior to departure.  Pre-approval will only be sought for travel that is for urgent and compelling reasons, and pre-approval will require the traveler to complete a safety plan and sign a waiver of liability.  Pre-approval will not be sought for personal/leisure travel, so personal/leisure travel to these exception destinations is without evacuation support from the U-M.

This evacuation assistance is provided by DRUM Cusac International and must be coordinated through U-M and HTH Worldwide.  Benefits include:

  • $100,000 per covered person when the US or foreign government issues an evacuation order for political or security reasons, or if an area is declared uninhabitable in the event of a natural disaster
  • Provides coverage to safe haven, with limited accommodation benefits
  • Coverage for travel from safe haven back to the US

For more information:

HTH Worldwide (known as GeoBlue for U-M Business travelers):

UHS Travel Health Services

Global Michigan, a portal for all things international

UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office:

U-M Travel Abroad Health Insurance Committee (TAIC)