University Health Service

Two parents

As a parent, you are a primary source of health information for your student. Here's how you can help. 

For parents of CURRENT students:

Find out why UHS is one of your student's best campus resources at:

For parents of NEW students:

Parents are a primary source of health information for students. Here's how you can help your student make a healthy transition to college. 

Get Easy-to-Print Version (PDF)

See also "For New International Students"

On this page:


Immunizations, health examination and health history:

Update immunizations before your student leaves for college and document them on the online Immunization Form. Immunizations are also available for a fee in the UHS Allergy, Immunization and Travel Health Clinic

A physical exam is not required by U-M, however athletic teams or clubs may have different requirements. Check with team or club to be sure.

Make sure your student knows their health history, medication allergies and current medications.

If your student has a complex health history:

  • Get a summary letter from your student's physician
  • Encourage your student to schedule an introductory appointment with a UHS physician in early fall semester and hand-carry the letter to that first visit (don't send it in advance)
  • See also Resources for Students with Chronic Health Conditions


Arrange for prescription renewals and/or a supply of medications to bring to school. Keep all medications in original containers. 

Contact the UHS Pharmacy (734-764-7387) about transferring prescriptions, if desired. We want to be your pharmacy of choice!

If your student takes medications for ADHD, plan ahead. Students on stable regimens may renew prescriptions by visiting a UHS physician. Bring this documentation to the first visit:

  1. Testing for and diagnosis of ADHD and
  2. Current management plans for ADHD

If your student wears glasses or contact lenses, send a copy of the current prescription with them, in case a replacement is needed. Eye exams, contact lenses and glasses are available for a fee at the UHS Eye Care Clinic and Optical Shop.

If your student takes allergy shots, arrange to bring antigen and continue shots at UHS. UHS must review and approve all treatment programs. For more information, call 734-764-8320 or see Allergy Services.

Health care, health insurance:

Know how health care works on campus. UHS provides most services at no or low cost. Payment for health care outside UHS (including hospital emergency room visits) is your student's responsibility. This is why students should have health insurance.

Arrange for health insurance if needed. Consider purchasing the U-M Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan, a low-cost plan with comprehensive benefits offered through the university, specifically for U-M students.  (International students who are required to have health insurance will get it when they arrive through the U-M International Center Health Insurance Office.)

Inform your health insurance company that your student will be away at college, and inquire about coverage in the Ann Arbor area. Ask whether your plan has network providers here. 

Provide copies of your medical and prescription drug cards (with policy numbers and billing addresses) and encourage your student to carry them.

Discuss how to use health insurance with your student.

Help your student practice decision-making skills:

Talk with your student about decisions they are likely to encounter in college such as alcohol and other drug use, getting enough sleep, managing time, handling stress, exercising, eating, sexual behavior, hygiene (e.g., hand washing, covering coughs), and being financially responsible. Research shows that Parents Can Influence Kids' Drinking in College.

Help your student practice making important choices before leaving for college.

Tell your student what you expect.

Offer non-judgmental listening and let your student know you're available.

Collegiate Recovery Program:

The Collegiate Recovery Program provides a supportive community where students in recovery can achieve academic success while enjoying a genuine college experience, free from alcohol and other drugs. If your student is in recovery or is curious about recovery, please contact us.

Mental health services:

If your student is currently receiving mental health care, visit the Counseling and Psychological Services website for recommendations for transferring care to providers at U-M or other providers in the Ann Arbor area.

See also CampusMindworks,  a U-M program that supports students with mental health disorders.

For info about getting a prescription for ADD/ADHD medication, see Prescriptions above.

You may want to read Good Mental Health Away From Home Starts Before College from the Wall Street Journal.

For students with disabilities:

Students with disabilities needing academic accommodations or services should contact the Services for Students with Disabilities Office (phone 734-763-3000). Students wishing to receive services must register with this office. Disabilities may include chronic health or mental health conditions, learning disorders as well as visual, hearing and mobility impairments.

U-M is smoke-free:

U-M is a smoke-free campus that offers support for quitting tobacco.  Learn more at Smoke-Free University Initative.

Provide a health care kit:

We recommend that you provide a Health Care Kit to your student. 

For more information: