University Health Service

Stock photo of a female student


UHS clinicians provide:

  • Medication management of mental health issues
  • Evaluation of anxiety, depression, eating disorders, and sleep disorders
  • Treatment options, including medications
  • Medication management for confirmed diagnoses of Attention Deficit / Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) -- please link for information about these services
  • Referral to a UHS psychiatrist for consultation (UHS Psychiatry is only available to students after obtaining a referral from a UHS clinician)
  • Referral to Counseling and Psychological Services (CAPS) and/or other appropriate counseling resource

It is recommended that students and other patients make an appointment with a UHS clinician and continue to see that person. Seeing the same clinician allows patients to develop a relationship and helps ensure quality care.

Our Care Managers are available for screenings, referral and follow-up, or just to talk.

The Collegiate Recovery Program supports students who are in recovery from alcohol or other drug addiction, nurturing their sobriety so they can excel in college. In addition, the program serves as a resource for people seeking information about recovery and what steps to take in order to stop hurting and start healing.

Programs and Services for Alcohol and Other Drugs are available through Wolverine Wellness.

Eligibility and fees:

Currently enrolled U-M students (Ann Arbor campus) can use UHS and have few expenses at UHS, because they pay a health service fee as part of tuition that covers most UHS services (see Free or Fees for Students for what's covered).

Students between terms may wish to considering purchasing the UHS Prepaid Plan for continued access to UHS. 

Others may be eligible to use UHS and would pay fee-for-service or use billable insurance. UHS is a primary care site for Premier Care Network 1 and GradCare. For others' eligibility, see Who Can Use UHS?

How to visit:

See Schedule an Appointment -- Most medical services require an appointment, although we offer options for urgent problems. 

You may also call for Nurse Advice, day or night, which may save you a trip to UHS, the ER or an urgent care facility. 

If you are experiencing a mental health emergecny, see Emergency/After-Hours.

For more information: