UHS is in the news!
Dr. Joseph Myers, UHS Doctor of Optometry and co-founder of the Eye Health Institute, says in the University Record article 9/15/14, "I've always had interest in helping the people of Jamaica, and now with the university associated with it, it enables me to even further that goal." Dr. Myers helped to collaboratively design and place the first Pop-up Clinic in Jamaica, described in the Michigan Medicine Headlines 1-19-17. And watch this beautiful video about his work in Jamaica, and vision for taking this work beyond.
Dr. Susan Ernst, Chief of the UHS Women's Health Clinic, says in the University Record article 12/5/16, U-M gynecologist helps women and children in Ethiopia, "I feel like advancing reproductive care for women and working to promote the dignity of all women, particularly those challenged with physical and cognitive disabilities, is my calling."
Collegiate Recovery Program:
The Collegiate Recovery Program helps students in recovery from alcohol and other drug addiction to succeed at U-M. Here are articles that mention CRP:
- Sober Nation 4/3/17: Collegiate Recovery at the University of Michigan: The Alternative Party Scene
- MLive 4/28/16: U-M student experiences success, sobriety through Collegiate Recovery Program by Martin Slagter
- MLive 4/28/16: Worthy conquers addiction on way to earning master's at U-M by Martin Slagter
- The Bridge 9/28/15: Stone-cold sober on game day? It really happens by Nancy Derringer and Ron French
- Michigan Daily 9/22/15: Viewpoint: Recovery is a reality by Carley Keyes
- The Fix 8/26/15: Welcome Back to School: How to Stay Sober in College by Zachary Siegel
- Recovery Campus Summer 2015: Coping, Community and Opportunity (page 15) and Shattering my Fears (page 76)
- New York Times 2/27/15: Not the Usual College Party (This One's Sober)
- USA Today College 3/17/14: Students Organize Sober St. Patricks Day events, Combat Binge drinking
- U-M Family Matters Parent Newsletter 2/16/12: The Michigan Difference: A Mother's Perspective 2/16/12
- Michigan Daily 2/16/12: At Event, Students Talk about Troubles with Substance Addiction
- New York Times 1/22/12: A Bridge to Recovery on Campus
- Chicago Tribune 10/26/11: Colleges Reach Out to Recovering Addicts
- Michigan Daily 9/14/11: Second Chances: The University's New Collegiate Recovery Program Helps Students with Addictions Find Sobriety
- Chronicle of Higher Education 8/21/11: As Campus Addiction-Recovery Programs Grow, So Do Calls for Data on Effectiveness
- Wall Street Journal 8/10/11: Campus Life 101: Staying Sober