First, information especially for students:
Currently enrolled U-M students (Ann Arbor campus) don't need health insurance to use UHS. The health service fee covers most UHS services for currently enrolled students. However, students are responsible for paying costs not covered by the health service fee, so students should have health insurance. For details, see Free or Fees for Students and Why Students Should Have Health Insurance.
Here's how to use insurance at UHS and elsewhere (especially if you are covered by insurance independent of the University, e.g. through a parent):
- Carry your own health insurance card (or a copy of both sides) with name, address and phone of insurance company, name of primary subscriber and contract numbers.
- Learn about coverage by contacting your insurance company via the customer service number on the back of your card:
- Ask about coverage before you accept services:
- Ask: Is this (service or item) a covered benefit under your health insurance plan?
- Ask: If so, would this (service or item) be covered at UHS, or is UHS out-of-network?
- Ask: If UHS is out-of-network, could you get an out-of-area waiver because you’re attending the university here? (Some insurance covers only emergency services while away from home and may require a referral from your primary care physician.)
- You may be responsible to pay for services not covered or the balance after insurance payment, e.g. deductibles, co-payments or co-insurance.
- Ask: What costs will insurance pay, and what costs would you be responsible for paying, e.g. a deductible, copays?
- Inquire about payment and billing. You may need to pay at the time of service. You can then submit a claim to your insurance company for reimbursement, if appropriate.
- Ask whether and how you can get reimbursed for costs.
- See also Confidentiality.
UHS is contracted with and "in-network" for these insurance plans only:
- Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan (Aetna)
- International Student/Scholar Health Insurance Plan (Aetna)
- GradCare members whose primary care site is UHS should visit UHS for all their health care needs. (Members who are currently enrolled students on the Ann Arbor campus have no co-payments for UHS clinic visits.) UHS is a Network 1 provider.
- Premier Care/BCN members whose primary care site is UHS should visit UHS for all their health care needs. There are co-payments for visits. UHS is a Network 1 provider.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO: For this plan, UHS is included in the Michigan Medicine network. There are co-payments for visits.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS): Some services at UHS are covered by BCBS. UHS will bill BCBS for covered services. Patients (except currently enrolled U-M students) are responsible for charges not covered by BCBS.
- U-M Comprehensive Major Medical: This plan is a Michigan Blue Cross Blue Shield plan. Some services at UHS are covered by BCBS. UHS will bill BCBS for covered services. Patients (except currently enrolled U-M students) are responsible for charges not covered by BCBS.
- Medicare: Most services at UHS are billable to Medicare.
If you have another type of insurance:
UHS will attempt to bill other insurances (except Medicaid) once as a courtesy to our patients. It is ultimately the decision of your insurance company whether they will pay. If we do not receive payment from your insurance company, you will be billed.
UHS does not accept Medicaid because we would be required to serve any Medicaid patient, which is inconsistent with our mission to serve only the U-M community.
For prescription drug plans that UHS accepts, see Pharmacy.
UHS Prepaid Plan provides access to basic health care at UHS, similar to coverage provided to currently enrolled U-M students (Ann Arbor campus) for a specific fee. It is not an insurance plan. The Prepaid Plan is available to affiliated individuals or special groups. Services must be provided at UHS.
Alumni: As a service to its members, the U-M Alumni Association offers several types of insurance coverage.
For more information:
For eligibility to use UHS, fees, payment options, insurance billing and the UHS Prepaid Plan, call the UHS Business Office at 734-764-7380.
For insurance benefits through Domestic and International Student Health Insurance Plans (Aetna), call the UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office at 734-764-5182 or toll-free 866-368-0002 or email UHSemail@example.com .
U-M Benefits Office for information about GradCare and Premier Care.