Most currently enrolled U-M students on the Ann Arbor campus have few expenses at UHS because they are covered by the health service fee. This page explains why and how.
What is the health service fee?
It is a mandatory fee that most currently enrolled U-M students on the Ann Arbor campus pay as part of tuition. It provides coverage for many services at UHS (described below). It is NOT a form of health insurance and should not be confused with optional health insurance. The health service fee is not separable from a student’s tuition nor is it refundable because of any health insurance a student may already carry.
Who is covered by the health service fee?
Most currently enrolled U-M students on the Ann Arbor campus are covered, which means:
- Students who are currently taking regular classes on the Ann Arbor campus
- PhD students on the Ann Arbor campus
Who is NOT covered by the health service fee?
The following people do not pay the health service fee so it does not cover them at UHS. (For similar coverage at UHS, these individuals may be eligible to purchase the UHS Prepaid Plan.)
Students (or other participants) in programs that do not pay the health service fee, specifically:
- Academic Outreach Programs
- Detached Study
- Ross School of Business Evening, Weekend and Executive MBA Programs
- School of Dentistry Online Hygiene Program
- School of Medicine Student Fellows
- School of Nursing Off-Campus Programs and On Job/On Campus Programs
- School of Public Health Certificate in the Foundations of Public Health Online and On Job/On Campus Programs
- U-M Exchange Students -- health service fee varies for U-M Exchange Students, and UHS can verify coverage
- Visiting Scholars / Traveling Scholars
- U-M Short Courses
- Students auditing classes
- Post Doctorate Fellows
- Students from U-M Flint or Dearborn campuses
- Students who are not currently enrolled, e.g. who are not taking regular classes over spring and/or summer term
- Students on leaves of absence
- Students who have withdrawn from all classes before the defined withdrawal date (see Withdrawing from a Term on the Registrar's Office website)
- U-M alumni
The health service fee covers services during the term and for approximately one week before and two weeks after the term, called grace periods. Grace periods vary by school, so please contact the UHS Business Office at 734-764-7380 for specific dates for your school.
The health service fee covers the following, so currently enrolled students pay no additional fees:
- Most clinic visits e.g. medical clinics, women's health, specialty clinics, nurse visits, etc. Exception: There is a $45 fee for travel health visits
- Eye care for medical problems (does not include routine eye exams, glasses, contact lenses)
- Nutrition counseling
- Physical therapy initial evaluation
- Most laboratory tests
- Advice by telephone
- Wolverine Wellness services
The health service fee does NOT cover the following, even if ordered by a UHS clinician, so students pay additional fees:
- Contraceptive devices e.g. intrauterine devices (IUDs)
- Durable medical equipment and supplies for home use
- Immunizations (vaccinations) and injection fees
- Medications (prescription and non-prescription)
- Physical therapy return visits ($15/visit)
- Routine eye exams, glasses and contact lenses
- Travel health services
- Tuberculosis skin tests
- Services that UHS clinical staff judge to be medically unnecessary, including:
- Tests, physical exams and other services required solely for administrative purposes, e.g. employment, fellowship, immigration
- Certain laboratory tests including genetic testing
- Antibody titers
- Services received between terms (students may wish to consider the UHS Prepaid Plan for coverage between terms)
- Services outside UHS -- Students are responsible for all health care costs incurred outside of UHS, including at Michigan Medicine (hospitals and clinics)
Students should have health insurance:
Insurance helps to pay costs not covered by the health service fee. If you do not have health insurance, consider purchasing the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan.
For more information:
- For health service fee or coverage, call the UHS Business Office at 734-764-7380 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
- How UHS Works with Health Insurance
- FAQs about Health Insurance and Billing for Students on the Ann Arbor Campus
- Fees for Others