Enrollment is now open for the 2018-19 plan year (8/24/18-8/23/19). Cost for an individual student for the plan year is $2084. The deadline to purchase coverage is September 30, 2018. To enroll, go to Aetna Student Health.
- To enroll, go to Aetna Student Health
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage (PDF) is a brief overview
- Plan Design and Benefits Summary (PDF) provides more detail
To save money on health care, currently enrolled U-M students on the Ann Arbor campus should visit UHS first. Learn how to use UHS below.
On this page:
- Why buy this health insurance plan?
- Who can enroll (eligibility)?
- Coverage periods, costs and payment
- How to enroll or make payments
- First, go to one of these Preferred Providers
- How to find another Preferred Provider
- Plan benefits and exclusions
- Student Health Insurance Committee
- More information, brochures and applications
This plan was developed with student needs in mind:
- A low-priced, voluntary plan for U-M students - $2084 per year
- Coverage includes:
- Clinic visits
- Annual vision exam
- Emergency room visits
- Ambulance service
- And more
- Coverage throughout the U.S.
- Complies with the Affordable Care Act, with coverage comparable to a "gold" plan on insurance exchanges
- Sponsored by the University of Michigan in collaboration with Central Student Government (Ann Arbor campus)
For Ann Arbor students: You should have health insurance to help cover products and services not covered by the health service fee. Health insurance is not required to receive care at UHS. Many UHS services are covered by the health service fee (part of tuition) when a student is enrolled for classes for the current semester on the Ann Arbor campus. See Who Can Use UHS? for information about eligibility to use UHS and Free or Fees for Students for services through the health service fee.
This plan is available to:
U-M students enrolled in classes or between semesters (e.g. during spring/summer session) at the Ann Arbor, Dearborn or Flint campuses, including:
- Graduate and doctoral students who are completing graduation requirements (writing thesis, preparing dissertation, studying for prelims, studying abroad on detatched study, pre-doctoral candidates, etc.)
- International students, students with dual citizenship and international scholars who are not eligible for International Student and Scholar Health Insurance Plan.
Green card holders who meet the above qualifications
Eligible spouses, unmarried domestic partners of any gender and children (up to age 26) of all the groups listed above, if the student is enrolled in the insurance
A U-M student enrolled in the Plan who is on an approved medical leave of absence needs to have purchased the insurance prior to the event causing medical leave. Coverage for medical leave cannot extend beyond one Policy Year past the current year enrolled for classes.
After the enrollment deadline, only those students who have involuntarily lost health insurance coverage through a Qualifying Life Event are eligible to purchase the plan, limited to within 30 days after the Qualifying Life Event.
|2018-19 Policy Year|
|Coverage Period||A. Annual
(See also Annual Installment Payments directly below)
|B. Winter||C. Spring/Summer|
|Payment Deadline (end of open enrollment period)||9/30/18||1/31/19||5/31/19|
|Student + 1 (Adult or Child)||$4102||$2642||$1294|
|Student + 2||$6120||$3941||$1930|
|Student + 3 or more||$8138||$5240||$2,566|
Annual Installment Payments: This is an annual plan for the entire policy year. You may elect the annual installment payment, which consists of three payments. Premium payments for Periods 2 and 3 will AUTOMATICALLY be charged to the same form of payment used for Period 1. An email notification will be sent 14 days prior to the next payment due date. If your credit card is denied, you will be given the opportunity to provide alternative payment details, but this must be received no later than the deadline as listed below. No late enrollment is allowed. Once Annual Installment Payments are chosen, there are no cancellations and no refunds other than described in (pending).
|Premium Cost - Annual Installment Payments (2018-19 policy year):|
|1st payment:||2nd payment:||3rd payment:|
|Student + 1 (Adult or Child)||$1802||$1348||$952|
|Student + 2||$2692||$2011||$1417|
|Student + 3 or more||$3582||$2674||$1882|
Enrollment is only available during open enrollment periods. Note: eligibility for enrollment is subject to verification. To enroll online:
- Go to the Aetna website and note these open enrollment deadlines: Annual 9/30/18, Winter 1/31/19, Spring/Summer 5/31/19
- You will receive enrollment confirmation via email, plus a link for your ID card, which you should print (cards are not mailed). Processing pharmacy benefits may take 5 business days following Aetna Student Health's receipt of a complete enrollment form and appropriate premium payment. If you need a prescription filled immediately, contact UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office.
For members affiliated with U-M-Ann Arbor:
University Health Service: Currently enrolled U-M students on the Ann Arbor campus should visit UHS (207 Fletcher St) first to save money. Many UHS services are covered by the health service fee when a student is enrolled for classes for the current semester on the Ann Arbor campus. See Who Can Use UHS? for eligibility to use UHS, Free or Fees for Students for what's covered, and Schedule an Appointment to arrange a visit.
Michigan Medicine - for all ages:
- Briarwood Center for Women, Children and Young Adults, 400 E. Eisenhower Pkwy, Building 2, Suite B, Ann Arrbor, phone 734-232-2600
- East Ann Arbor Health Center, 4260 Plymouth Rd., Ann Arbor, phone 734-647-5680
- West Ann Arbor Health Center, 380 Parkland Plaza, Ann Arbor, phone 734-998-7380
Packard Health - for all ages:
- Packard Main Ann Arbor, 3174 Packard Rd, Ann Arbor, phone 734-971-1073
- Packard West Ann Arbor, 1915 Pauline Blvd, Ann Arbor, phone 734-926-4900
- Packard Ypsilanti, 200 Arnet St., Suite 150 (first floor), Ypsilanti, phone 734-985-7200
For members affiliated with U-M-Flint or U-M Dearborn:
- Call Aetna at 800-242-3721, or go to the Aetna website, click Go to DocFind and follow instructions
- Or contact UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office, 734-764-5182 or toll-free 866-368-0002 or email UHSfirstname.lastname@example.org
Call Aetna at 800-242-3721, or go to the Aetna website , click on Find a Doctor, Hospital or Pharmacy and follow instructions.
- Summary of Benefits and Coverage (PDF) is a brief overview - this document is not available yet
- Plan Design and Benefits Summary (PDF) provides more detail - this document is not available yet
Exclusion for Sanctioned Countries: If coverage provided by this policy violates or will violate any economic or trade sanctions, the coverage is immediately considered invalid. For example, Aetna companies cannot make payments for health care or other claims or services if it violates a financial sanction regulation. This includes sanctions related to a blocked person or a country under sanction by the United States, unless permitted under a written Office of Foreign Asset Control (OFAC) license. For more information, visit Sanction Programs and Information, US Department of the Treasury.
SHIC negotiates this insurance plan for students and addresses domestic student health insurance issues. Student participation is welcome. See Student Health Insurance Committee for more information.
UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office, 734-764-5182 or toll-free 866-368-0002 or email UHSemail@example.com