New - Getting contraception is easier than ever: UHS now offers video visits for contraception counseling plus prescription! See details below.
How to learn about and get contraception...
Contraception is available by prescription and without prescription.
Many methods are available by prescription only. Prescription methods available at UHS include:
- Implant - see also How to Prepare for Your IUD or Implant Insertion
- Intrauterine device (IUD) - see also How to Prepare for Your IUD or Implant Insertion
- Shot (Depo Provera)
- Oral contraceptive pills (the pill)
- Vaginal ring
- Schedule an appointment by calling 734-764-8320, or see How to Get Health Care.
NEW - Getting contraception is easier than ever: UHS now offers video visits for contraception counseling plus prescription. (Video visits are not available for diaphragms). For video visits:
- Available to currently enrolled students only, and there is no cost for contraceptive counseling (there is a cost for the prescription method)
- You will need a patient portal account
- You will use your mobile phone or iPad for the video visit
- Call 734-764-8320 to schedule an appointment for a video visit
A physical exam is not required to get a prescription for contraception, except for IUD and diaphragm. If you want a pelvic exam during your visit, schedule your appointment for when you are not menstruating or when your menstrual flow is very light.
If you have a prescription from elsewhere and want to have it filled at the UHS Pharmacy, you may have your prescription transferred by calling 734-764-7387. UHS Pharmacy staff will ask you for information about your current prescription.
- Free condoms and other safer sex supplies are available for U-M students in UHS Wolverine Wellness.
- Products such as condoms, spermicide and lubricants are available at the UHS Pharmacy.
- Emergency contraception is availabe in the UHS Pharmacy. The sooner EC is taken after unprotected sex, the more effective it is.
Where to learn about contraception:
- UHS Online Contraception Education Program helps you compare methods and learn costs at UHS
- See Planned Parenthood's Birth Control site and take their quiz
- UHS clinicians can discuss contraceptive options. To schedule, call 734-764-8320 or see How to Get Health Care.
- Contraception Cost, Insurance and Payment