How to learn about and get contraception...
Contraception is available:
- By prescription
- Without prescription
Many methods are available by prescription only. Prescription methods available at UHS include:
- Implant - see also How to Prepare for Your IUD or Implant Insertion
- Intrauterine device (IUD) - see also How to Prepare for Your IUD or Implant Insertion
- Shot (Depo Provera)
- Oral contraceptive pills (the pill)
- Vaginal ring
To get a prescription for contraception at UHS:
- Schedule an appointment by calling 734-764-8320, or see How to Get Health Care.
A physical exam is not required to get a prescription for contraception, except for IUD and diaphragm. If you want a pelvic exam during your visit, schedule your appointment for when you are not menstruating or when your menstrual flow is very light.
If you have a prescription from elsewhere and want to have it filled at the UHS Pharmacy, you may have your prescription transferred by calling 734-764-7387. UHS Pharmacy staff will ask you for information about your current prescription.
- Free condoms and other safer sex supplies are available for U-M students in UHS Wolverine Wellness.
- Products such as condoms, spermicide and lubricants are available at the UHS Pharmacy.
- Emergency contraception is availabe in the UHS Pharmacy. The sooner EC is taken after unprotected sex, the more effective it is.
Where to learn about contraception:
- UHS Online Contraception Education Program helps you compare methods and learn costs at UHS
- Method Match is an interactive program to help you select a method, from the Association of Reproductive Health Professionals.
- Choosing a Birth Control Method from the American Reproductive Health Professionals
- UHS clinicians can discuss contraceptive options. To schedule, call 734-764-8320 or see How to Get Health Care.