BASICS is a confidential, strength-based discussion offered free to all U-M students who want to explore their alcohol use. It’s focused on what a student thinks about where alcohol (and other drugs, if applicable) fit into a student’s life. It’s a friendly conversation with no “shoulds” or “have tos.” If there are changes students want to make, we can support them.
There are two sessions two to four weeks apart. Some students attend BASICS to fulfill a requirement as a result of a policy violation or MIP (minor-in-possession of alcohol ticket), while others participate because they would like to learn moderation strategies to reduce negative consequences. We also see students who are trying to figure out whether moderation or abstaining makes more sense to them.
I feel like I've learned a great deal about myself and the program was very beneficial overall.
While I participated in the program to complete a requirement ordered by court, I am really glad I had to do so now since it was such a positive experience.
I dreaded coming to my first session of BASICS because I was under the impression that it was another survey-filled, superficial meeting about my habits. I quickly learned that this was not the case, and that my counselor actually cared about me and my life from the start and wanted to talk about what is important. Time here was used so efficiently. Would highly consider coming back for anything.
BASICS facilitators are professional staff and graduate-level interns. The program is managed through UHS.
- Discussing the pros and cons of alcohol use for each student.
- Examining alcohol/other drug consumption patterns, history and related issues.
- Considering personalized feedback and comparisons with other students based on screenings.
- Conducting an overall wellness balance check.
- Developing patterns for improving health and overall success.
- Reviewing what is going well in the student’s life.
- Schedule your first meeting only. The second meeting will be scheduled with your facilitator.
- If you've completed BASICS or IMEP before, schedule only with Marsha, Christina, Carol, Joy or Mary Jo.
- If you do not receive a confirmation email immediately, your appointment was not scheduled (be sure to check your junk/spam folders). You may schedule again or call Marsha Benz for assistance 734-647-4656.
Call Marsha Benz, Wolverine Wellness, at 734-647-4656.