U-M students' health service fee (paid as part of tuition) does not cover services received outside UHS. Costs for these services are possibly billable to your insurance but you are ultimately responsible for payment.
Before you go for services outside UHS, get prepared by answering the following questions.
If you have health insurance:
Contact your insurance company by calling the number on your insurance card to learn:
- Will your insurance pay for services at the medical facility to which you are being referred? If so, will they pay the entire cost? (Some insurance companies do not pay the entire cost.)
- Do you need any paperwork (for example, referral, pre-certification, prior authorization) before the services are provided? If you need paperwork, contact the UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office.
- Does your insurance have a pre-existing condition clause that must be met before your insurance begins paying, and if so, is your condition considered pre-existing?
Contact the medical facility to which you are being referred to learn whether they accept your insurance and whether they will bill your insurance company. Be sure to take your insurance card with you to your appointment.
If you don't have health insurance, or if your insurance will not pay for all costs:
If you don't have health insurance, consider:
- Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan, which was developed with student needs in mind
- Health insurance through HealthCare.gov
- Medicaid, which is a free, or very low cost, government-sponsored health insurance plan
Contact the other facility to learn how much the services will potentially cost.
Plan for how you will you pay for these services. If you anticipate that payment will be a challenge, see Resources for Financial Assistance and Medical Needs.
Inform your clinician if you decide to delay services or not get services at all. Your clinician can help you understand potential consequences of not getting services and consider potential alternatives.
If you need help:
Contact the UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office.