University Health Service

students studying

On this page:

Forms requiring completion: You are expected to complete and submit the following forms by August 1, 2015:

Health care on campus:   

University Health Service (UHS) can provide most of your health care while you are at the University. Students pay a health service fee (included as part of tuition) which covers many services.  For who and what is covered, see Free or Fees for Students

UHS services are available by appointment, although help for urgent problems is available, and you can call UHS day or night if you need medical advice. To learn more about health care on campus, see the Guide to Health Care (PDF).  

For easy access, please put this number in your phone: 734-764-8320 = UHS

Immunizations, health examination and health history:

To help you stay healthy at school, all your immunizations should be current. See recommendations at Immunization Records. UHS also provides immunizations for a fee.

A physical exam is not required by U-M, however athletic teams and clubs may have different requirements. Check with the team or club to be sure.

If you have a complex health history:

  • Ask your clinician to provide a letter summarizing your health history and treatments
  • Know your current medications
  • Schedule an introductory visit with a UHS physician in early fall and hand-carry the letter (do not send it in advance) to that first visit
  • See also Resources for Students with Chronic Health Conditions

Carry a list of your medication allergies.

Be aware that certain New International Students must be screened for tuberculosis, which is done free on campus. See International Mandatory Tuberculosis Screening.

Health insurance: All students should have health insurance. If you need health insurance, consider purchasing the U-M Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan.  International students who are required to have health insurance will get it when they arrive through the U-M International Center Health Insurance Office 

Become familiar with how your health insurance works and how to use it. Inform your health insurance company that you will be at college and ask about your coverage in the Ann Arbor area. Ask whether your plan has network providers here. And carry your insurance and prescription drug cards with you.

Tuition Insurance: Consider purchasing Tuition Insurance, which significantly reduces financial loss if you are unable to complete a term due to physical or psychological illness. For about the price of a textbook, you can protect your financial investment for the entire academic year. 


Arrange for prescription renewals and/or a supply of medications to bring to school.

Contact the UHS Pharmacy (734-764-7387) regarding transferring prescriptions. We want to be your pharmacy of choice.

If you take ADD/ADHD medications, plan ahead. Students on stable regimens may renew prescriptions by visiting a UHS physician and bringing the following to the first visit:

  1. Documentation of diagnosis of ADD/ADHD and
  2. Documentation of current management plans for ADD/ADHD

If you wear glasses or contact lenses, bring a copy of your current prescription, in case replacement is needed. You can get eye exams, contact lenses and glasses at the UHS Eye Care Clinic and Optical Shop.

If you take allergy shots, arrange to bring antigen and continue shots at UHS. UHS must review and approve all treatment programs.See Allergy Services or call 734-764-8320.

More information:

U-M offers a wide variety of Wellness services.

If you are currently receiving mental health care, or are interested in doing so, we encourage you to visit the Counseling and Psychological Services website for recommendations for transferring care to providers at U-M or other providers in Ann Arbor. See also CampusMindworks,  a U-M website that supports students with mental health disorders. You may want to read Good Mental Health Away From Home Starts Before College from the Wall Street Journal.

The Collegiate Recovery Program provides a supportive community where students in recovery can achieve academic success while enjoying a genuine college experience, free from alcohol and other drugs. If you are a student in recovery or are curious about recovery, please contact us.

Students with disabilities needing accommodations should contact the Services for Students with Disabilities Office (734-763-3000). Students wishing to receive services must register with this office. Disabilities may include chronic health or mental health conditions, learning disorders as well as visual, hearing and mobility impairments.

U-M is a smoke-free campus, and students, faculty and staff can get support for quitting. Learn more at Smoke-Free University Initative.

We recommend that you bring a Health Care Kit with you to campus. 

Contact us: