Do you need health insurance?
The Affordable Care Act (ACA, sometimes referred to as Obamacare) requires individuals to have health insurance. However, this requirement, known as the individual mandate, has expired. Starting January 1, 2019, there is no individual mandate.
This page can help you learn about health insurance options.
Here are definitions you may need:
- "Marketplace" and "Health Insurance Exchange" both refer to the website Healthcare.gov, where you can learn about health insurance options, compare plans and purchase a plan.
- "Open Enrollment" means a period of time during which people may add or change their insurance plan.
Help is available!
Depending on your income and other factors, you may be eligible for:
- Health insurance through HealthCare.gov, and possibly help in paying for your insurance with subsidies
- Medicaid, which is a free, or very low cost, government-sponsored health insurance plan
Students who need health insurance can get personalized help from trained counselors to determine eligibility and enroll in the Health Insurance Marketplace (healthcare.gov) or in Healthy Michigan Medicaid. For assistance, contact:
- Michigan Medicine Certified Application Counselors, 877-326-9155 (8am - 8pm Monday - Friday) or email PFC-Counselors@med.umich.edu.
- UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office - Medicaid and SNAP only
If you do not have health insurance, you will want to shop for it.
- Healthy Michigan (Medicaid) enrollment is continuous; you can enroll at any time.
- If you have a qualifying life event, such as turning age 26 and being removed from your parent's health insurance, the birth of a baby or marriage or ending of an insurance policy, you can:
Marketplace dates you'll want to know:
- November 1, 2019 - Marketplace Open Enrollment begins. (Open Enrollment means a period of time in which individuals may add or change coverage.)
- December 15, 2019 - Last day to enroll/purchase insurance for 2019
- December 31, 2019 - Coverage ends for 2019 plans
- January 1, 2020 - New coverage for 2020 begins