UHS Prepaid Plan
The UHS Prepaid Plan is not an insurance policy. It is a prepaid plan for access to UHS services.
This summary is intended to provide benefit highlights. For further questions, please contact the UHS Business Office, 734-764-7380.
Eligibility: The UHS Prepaid Plan is sold to affiliated individuals or to special groups, specifically:
- UM students (Ann Arbor campus) who have been enrolled within the past year but are not taking regular classes for the current semester
- UM alumni (Ann Arbor campus) who have taken regular classes within the past year
- UM students (Flint and Dearborn campuses) who are currently enrolled or have taken classes within the past year
- Special groups
Covered services include:
- Clinic visits (e.g. medical clinics, Women's Health Clinic, specialty clinics, nurse visits, etc.)
- Eye care for medical problems (does not include routine eye exams, glasses, contact lenses)
- Health education
- Nutrition counseling
- Physical therapy
- Most laboratory tests
- Advice by telephone
Exclusions (what is not covered):
- Allergy antigens
- Durable medical equipment and supplies for home use
- Immunizations (vaccinations)
- Medications (prescription and non-prescription)
- Routine eye exams, glasses and contact lenses
- Tuberculosis skin tests (unless part of International Mandatory Tuberculosis Screening for certain international students)
- Certain laboratory tests including genetic testing, antibody titers that are not medically necessary, tests required solely for adminstrative purposes (e.g. employment, fellowship, immigration) and tests that are not related to active health problems
Note: Any costs for medical care received at a facility other than UHS are not covered by the Prepaid Plan and would be the patient's responsibility. This includes services received from the UM Health System (hospitals, emergency room and clinics).
Coverage periods: Coverage begins on date of purchase (if purchased after start date) for that coverage period. It can be purchased up to one month before each coverage period begins. The UHS Prepaid Plan is not prorated, retroactive or refundable. Coverage periods are:
- September 1 - December 31
- January 1 - April 30
- May 1 - August 31
Costs: For costs, contact the UHS Business Office at 734-764-7380.
Prepaid Plan and other insurance: Students should have health insurance to help cover products and services not covered by the UHS Prepaid Plan. If you are currently covered by private insurance, please compare benefits to the Prepaid Plan. It may be more cost effective for you to pay for each service you receive (fee-for-service) and seek reimbursement from your insurance carrier. The cost of the Prepaid Plan is not reimbursed by insurance companies.
Further information and applications: Call the UHS Business Office at 734-764-7380 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.