How UHS Works with Health Insurance
Info Especially for Students
Students don't need health insurance to use UHS. The health service fee covers most UHS services for currently enrolled students. However, students are responsible for paying costs not covered by the health service fee, so students should have health insurance. For details, see Free or Fees for Students and Why Students Should Have Health Insurance.
- Carry your own health insurance card (or a copy of both sides) with name, address and phone of insurance company, name of primary subscriber and contract numbers.
- Learn about coverage by contacting your insurance company:
- Ask about coverage before you accept services.
- Some insurance covers only emergency services while away from home and may require a referral from your primary care physician.
- You may be responsible to pay for services not covered or the balance after insurance payment, e.g. deductibles, co-payments or co-insurance.
- Inquire about payment and billing. You may need to pay at the time of service. You can then submit a claim to your insurance company for reimbursement, if appropriate.
- See also Confidentiality.
How UHS Bills Insurance
UHS can bill the following insurance plans:
- Aetna Student Health (Domestic and International Plans)
- GradCare/Premier Care members whose primary care site is UHS should visit UHS for all their health care needs. (Members who are currently enrolled students on the Ann Arbor campus have no co-payments for UHS clinic visits.) UHS is a Network 1 provider.
- Premier Care members whose primary care site is UHS should visit UHS for all their health care needs. There are co-payments for visits. UHS is a Network 1 provider.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO: For this plan, UHS is included in the UM Health System network. There are co-payments for visits.
- Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS): Some services at UHS are covered by BCBS. UHS will bill BCBS for covered services. Patients (except currently enrolled UM students) are responsible for charges not covered by BCBS.
- UM Comprehensive Major Medical: This plan is a Michigan Blue Cross Blue Shield plan. Some services at UHS are covered by BCBS. UHS will bill BCBS for covered services. Patients (except currently enrolled UM students) are responsible for charges not covered by BCBS.
- Medicare: Most services at UHS are billable to Medicare.
- For prescription drug plans that UHS accepts, see Pharmacy.
- UHS Prepaid Plan provides access to basic health care at UHS, similar to coverage provided to currently enrolled UM students (Ann Arbor campus) for a specific fee. It is not an insurance plan. The Prepaid Plan is available to affiliated individuals or special groups. Services must be provided at UHS.
- Alumni: As a service to its members, the UM Alumni Association offers several types of insurance coverage.
For more information:
- Frequently Asked Questions about Health Insurance and Billing for Students on the UM-Ann Arbor Campus
- For eligibility to use UHS, fees, payment options, insurance billing and the UHS Prepaid Plan, call the UHS Business Office at 734-764-7380.
- For insurance benefits through Premier Care, GradCare and Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan (administered by Chickering), call the UHS Managed Care/Student Insurance Office at 734-764-5182 or toll-free 866-368-0002 or email UHSemail@example.com.
- UM Benefits Office