Free or Fees for Students
Currently enrolled UM students have few expenses at UHS because they are covered by the health service fee. This page explains why and how.
On this page:
- What is the health service fee?
- Who is covered by the health service fee?
- Who is not covered by the health service fee?
- Periods of coverage
- Free: What’s covered by the health service fee
- Fees: What’s not covered by the health service fee
- Students should have health insurance
- For more information
What is the health service fee? It is a mandatory fee that currently enrolled UM students pay as part of tuition. It provides coverage for many services at UHS (described below). It is not a form of health insurance and should not be confused with optional health insurance or the Tuition Refund Plan. The health service fee is not separable from a student’s tuition nor is it refundable because of any health insurance a student may already carry.
- Students who are currently taking regular classes on the Ann Arbor campus
- PhD students on the Ann Arbor campus
- Students from UM-Flint or UM-Dearborn campuses
- Students who are not taking regular classes over spring and/or summer term
- Students on leaves of absence
- Students who have withdrawn from all classes
Periods of coverage: The health service fee covers services during the term and for approximately one week before and two weeks after the term, called grace periods. Grace periods vary by school, so please contact the UHS Business Office at 734-764-7380 for specific dates for your school.
- Clinic visits (e.g. medical clinics, women's health, specialty clinics, nurse visits, etc.)
- Eye care for medical problems (does not include routine eye exams, glasses, contact lenses)
- Health education
- Nutrition counseling
- Physical therapy
- Most laboratory tests
- Advice by telephone
- Allergy antigens
- Durable medical equipment and supplies for home use
- Immunizations (vaccinations)
- Medications (prescription and non-prescription)
- Routine eye exams, glasses and contact lenses
- Tuberculosis skin tests (unless part of International Mandatory Tuberculosis Screening)
- Certain laboratory tests including genetic testing, antibody titers that are not medically necessary, tests required solely for administrative purposes (e.g. employment, fellowship, immigration) and tests that are not related to active health problems
- Services received between terms (students may wish to consider the UHS Prepaid Plan for coverage between terms)
- Services outside UHS -- Students are responsible for all health care costs incurred outside of UHS, including at UM Health System (hospitals and clinics)
Students should have health insurance to help pay costs not covered by the health service fee. If you do not have health insurance, consider purchasing the Domestic Student Health Insurance Plan.
- For more information about the health service fee or coverage, call the UHS Business Office at 734-764-7380
- How UHS Works with Health Insurance
- FAQs about Health Insurance and Billing for Students on the Ann Arbor Campus
- Fees for Others